Friday, June 5, 2009

National Donut Day





In honor of National Donut Day, thought I'd mention how I first became a "Donut Fan".  The first and still the best donuts I ever found came from LaBree's in Old Town, Maine, where I was born and lived for the first 8 years of my life.  Labree's started in the basement of their house on French Island, so called because you know.... actually Treat & Webster Island on the map.  My mother was born on the Island and when I would visit my grandmother, a group of cousins and Island kids would sometimes walk over to the Labree's house and go round back to the cellar entrance where the donuts were made.  One of the women would take a long stick and  fish a donut hot out of the oil, let it cool off for a minute before giving it to us.  Even in a box on a store shelf Labree's kept just a hint of that fresh made taste.  When I move to Presque Isle on my 8th birthday, I soon found Spudnuts, donuts made from potato flower, not bad certainly in my ton 5 list.  But here in Portland we Have Tony's Donuts, # 2 on the list... I'm particularly fond of the Molassas variety.  So today we have a few pictures from Tony's

No comments:

Post a Comment